Tristan Thomas was previously VP of Marketing at UK fintech unicorn Monzo, a company that has raised over £400m to date. In 2020, Tristan left Monzo to go out on his own in Nov 2020, doing some CMO consulting and to work on his very own bootstrapped side-project, Winepost. Winepost is a wine delivery service that was started in the first lockdown and has since passed $250k ARR.
- Also at Beam + Good Club
(We’ll touch on this briefly, purely out of personal interest, but I may cut from the episode)
- Were side projects encouraged at Monzo?
- Most surprising thing about your time at Monzo?
- How have you applied things you learnt at Monzo to your own projects
- What was the catalyst for you leaving to go out on your own?
On other side projects
- What else have you built?
- PrintStamp - I love this idea.
- One of my buddies tried to do the same thing, but there just isn't enough demand and the margins are super thin! But that not what side projects are about!
- How did it go?
- How did it start?
- How much have you invested in it?
- What are the margins like?
- you’ve been in a heavily VC-backed co, how come you haven’t raised for your own projects, what are the pros and cons of bootstrapping for you?
- Kieran McHugh, left Monzo to start Daybridge, raised capital. Deliveroo mafia, Jonny Burch, raised capital.
- What did you do to grow from the start? Actual tactics?
- "Accidentally turning into more of a real business"
- Future plans? Raise VC?
- Book - Ian Banks Culture Series. The Wasp Factory. Red Mars - Stanley Robinson.
- Podcast - ATP
- Indie Hacker / Entreprenuer - Nick Huber
- Ryan Peterson - Founder Field Company