Pete Codes is my favourite kind of indie hacker. He thought "what have I got to lose, and went all in with his side-project". 2 years later, he's running a profitable business that sustains him, and allows Pete to work in a way he wants to.
Pete runs No CS Degree, among other things, sharing stories of people who have made it as a developer, without going down the traditional route of getting a computer science degree, showing how it's possible to earn a nice salary without going to university.
I mention other things; we've actually recorded this episode once before, but I've had to record again as Pete has just launched too many things. Recently he started High Signal, a community for revenue verified entrepreneurs, started a site for finding fully remote companies and also started a podcast and YouTube channel for No CS degree, which is a side project in itself. Not only this, you might have seen Pete's Monetize Your Newsletter course, launched last October to help you make money with your newsletter.
Hook - Shit Pete, you run a lot of things right now. How do you make time for it all?
On No CS Degree
- Pete, you were on the IH podcast back in January. I'll leave a link so people can take a listen and hear your full backstory. In 60 seconds, whats your story? (ha good luck with this, feel free to script it)
- What's changed since January?
- Most inspiring story you've seen on No CS degree
- Growth channels
- Tech stack
On university vs no uni
- One of my favourite topics as someone who opted not to go to uni and have enjoyed the rewards of that choice. The whole premise of your business is sharing the stories of those who haven't got a degree, or not a degree in the field they are making their living, what's your take on it?
- When is it worthwhile to get a degree?
- What are the alternatives?
Quick fire on your new projects (maybe 😂)
- Monetize Your Newsletter
- launched in October, how's it doing for revenue?
- the combo deal with indie hackers. Should other indie founders try this kind of collaboration?
- Remote Companies
- Job boards are ever popular, why make another?
- How's it doing?
- What's it like running a marketplace style business?
- High Signal
- What is it and why did you start it?
- Price goes up with each new member - I've never seen that model before. Why?
- The podcast and YouTube channel
- Why did you give yourself another full-time job?
- How's it been going? Pros / Cons of making content for your company.
- grow your newsletter
- sponsored by email octopus
- Indie Hacker
- Book - mindset - Carole Dweck
- Podcast - SaaS Podcast by Omar Khan
- Indie Hacker - Kieran Bell
On cold emailing
- Pete, you have this ability to get people to help you out, just by asking. It's a skill to be able to cold email people, let's break down the anatomy of a good cold email?
- Why should people do this?
- How often should they do it to get better?